Currently accepting new clients in the state of California for phone or online video therapy sessions starting the week of June 1, 2020.
At this point it feels like you have tried everything to move past your struggles, but nothing helps, and you have exhausted all options. The coping mechanisms that once worked have lost their effectiveness.
You have realized that you have a habit of overextending yourself in the hopes of finding a place where you belong. Or you are recognizing patterns in your relationships that you want to examine.
Therapy is a non-judgmental space in which you can overcome familiar patterns by being witnessed and heard, and learn tools and skills to improve your mental health.
How to Instashop.
I received my Bachelor of Science in Behavioral Health Counseling from Drexel University in Philadelphia, PA, followed by a Master of the Arts in Counseling Psychology with a focus in Community Mental Health from the California Institute of Integral Studies in San Francisco, CA.
I value humor, play, creativity, exploration, feminism, pragmatism, and chances to build a healthy relationship with emotions that we are usually told to squash. Although we are taught to separate our intellect from our emotions, it is important to remember that we can have physical manifestations of our emotions, and that our bodies can affect our thoughts.
The world is often unwelcoming of those who do not conform to the status quo. Therapy should be a space in which you can be validated and heard, without having to educate your therapist about the merits of your lifestyle or your social position.
As your therapist, I will collaborate with you to find the tools that best suit you and your needs. I welcome your weirdness.
• Bay Area Open Minds (Social Coordinator on Board)
I provide therapy to adults who may be feeling: • Overwhelmed, and like they are not doing enough. • Uncertain that they are on the right track. • Concerned with how others perceive them. • Heartbroken or grief-stricken. • Distrusting of their gut. • That they do not know where to go or what to do to fit in. • Discomfort with the gender they were assigned at birth, and interest in transitioning. • Fear of being watched or followed.
Therapy can help you
• Decide how to have strong relationships with appropriate people.• Share what you hate and love about yourself and others. • Better communicate your needs and wants. • Discover ways to be kinder to yourself.
Who I Work With
I have a passion for working with people from alternative and historically marginalized backgrounds and experiences, including, but not limited to:
• Coming out, or questioning their sexual orientation or gender identity.
• Identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, pansexual, asexual, or queer.
• Being transgender, gender non-conforming, gender queer, gender fluid, or non-binary.
• Practicing alternative relationship structures, such as non-monogamy or kink/BDSM.
• Experiencing being othered or marginalized due to race or ethnicity.
• Practicing atheism, agnosticism, polytheism, or otherwise non-conforming spiritual or magick practice.
Issues that I work with include
• Managing overwhelming emotions.
• Grief, loss, and heartbreak.
• Feeling invisible and/or alone.
• Auditory hallucinations and paranoia.
• Lasting effects of childhood trauma.
• Impact of societal oppression.
• Questions about gender.
• Difficulty with motivation.
• Communication barriers in relationships.
• Dream work.
• Body image concerns.
• Fear of asking for help or care.
with your inquiries.
Let's get you where you want to be.
We would meet remotely over the phone or have online video sessions if you are in the state of California.
I charge $150 per 50 minute session, and ask for a commitment to weekly appointments.
We will start out with a free 15-20 minute phone consultation to make sure we are a good fit.
You can expect a response within one business day of contacting me.
- National Alliance on Mental Illness
- Mental Health Care America
- National Institute of Mental Health
- Alameda County Crisis Support Services
- Crisis Text Line
- Anxiety and Depression Association of America
- Hearing Voices Network USA
- Schizophrenia and Related Disorders Alliance of America
- Strong Minds Project
- Therapists of Color Directory - I have spoken with a lot of folks who would prefer to meet with a therapist of color, but do not know where to start in finding one. Here is a starting point.
- National Queer and Trans Therapists of Color Network
- Trans Lifeline
- Transgender Law Center
- Pacific Center
- Project Health
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays
- the Trevor Project
- the Asexuality Visibility & Education Network
- GLBT Near Me
- gc2b transition apparel - the original chest binder designed by trans people for the trans community
- Point of Pride Chest Binder Donations -Point of Pride provides free chest binders (specially-designed chest compression garments) to any trans person who needs one and cannot afford or safely obtain one.
- GetBetter - for assistance with reimbursement from Health Insurance.
- Multidisciplinary Association for Psychedelic Studies
- Unmarried Equality - Unmarried Equality advocates for equality and fairness for unmarried people, including people who are single, choose not to marry, cannot marry, or live together before marriage.
- Kink Aware Professionals
- GoodRx - for when insurance won't cover medication
- $4 Prescriptions
- Needy Meds - help with the cost of medicine
Phone numbers rather than links:
- Alameda County Crisis Line - 1.800.309.2131
- Alameda County Text Line
TEXT SAFE TO 20121 (7 DAYS A WEEK: 4pm – 11pm; Alameda County residents only; No fee charge from Crisis Support Services. Text STOP to opt out)
1-888-843-4564 (M-F: 1pm – 9pm PT)
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline (24 hours)
- Trans Lifeline (24 hours)
Supervised by Ali Kimmell, LCSW #67173
902 Curtis Street Albany, CA 94706